include links to some blog posts
Product Design Manager at IBM (April 2012 – Present)
- Manage a team of User Interaction Designers, User Researchers, and Information Architects.
- Engage with engineering management and other stakeholders to ensure that deliverables are on time and high quality.
- Compile and deliver Operations briefings for executives.
- Developing a relationship with a local university, identifying co-ops and class projects.
- Attended IBM Basic Blue training for managers.
- Authored/co-authored multiple inventions and patents.
User Experience Project Manager at IBM (April 2011 – April 2012)
- Responsible for project managing multiple projects and teams.
- Engaged with engineering and other stakeholders to ensure that deliverables and projects were on track.
- Introduced agile practices to UX work, both at the project level and the team level.
User Interface Designer at IBM (October 2004 – April 2011)
- Coached User Experience Interns (April 2009 – August 2010)
- Mentored interns in user interaction design and usability.
- Assisted interns in planning and executing assignments and handling workload.
- Arranged for IBM employees to provide “day in the life” discussions and other educational opportunities for interns.
- All interns were remote employees.
- Responsible for product design for client and web experiences, including gathering customer feedback and working with design partners on a regular basis. Customer feedback sessions were in person or remote.
- Created design specifications and prototypes to guide engineering implementation of designs.
- Presented to partners and customers at conferences such as Lotusphere, LOLA, and other venues.
- Contributed to the Lotus Design blog.
- Led development of a formal “Peer Review” process implemented in Lotus design organization in 2010.
- Participated in Lead@IBM program.
Human Factors Engineer at Lightbridge (August 2001 – October 2004)
- Solo Human Factors Engineer responsible for design and usability testing of user interfaces.
- Led cross-departmental design teams for web and WAP graphical user interfaces. Design teams included representatives from Product Management, Engineering, Quality Assurance, Documentation, and other groups.
- Created storyboards for web-based software applications that formed the base for technical specifications.
- Conducted usability tests of Lightbridge’s IVR system and assisted in the creation of IVR related personas and scripts.
- Created and maintained Lightbridge’s UI Standards.
Documentation Specialist at Lightbridge (August 1997 – August 2001)
Technical Writer at Lewtan Technologies (September 1995 – August 1997)
Technical Writer at Meditech (May 1994 – September 1995)
Technical Writer at Image Plus (1993 – 1994)
MS, Human Factors and Information Design Bentley University
BA, English University of Massachusetts, Amherst
I am an author. My fiction publications include the following:• 2011 – Priscilla Holmes and the Case of the Glass Slipper • 2011 – All or Nothing in the anthology Wolfsongs Volume 2 • 2011 – Zombie Thanksgiving in the anthology Zombiefied: An Anthology of All Things Zombie • 2011 – Bots in the anthology A Taste of Armageddon • 2011 – All Hail Splork in the anthology Atheist Tales • 2010 – Adam, Eve, and Me: A Serpent’s Tale in the anthology All About Eve • 2010 - Priscilla Holmes, Ace Detective • 2009 - Charlotte Cauldron and the Prince of Nevermore • 2008 - Sniff, Bark, Howl - A Love Story in the anthology Wolfsong Vol 1 • 2008 – Henry and the Time Machine in Beyond Centauri magazine • 2007 – Bravest of Them All in Beyond Centauri magazine • 2006 – Bobby’s Troll and Other Stories • 2006 – Dragon Busters in Beyond Centauri magazine • 2004 – Home Is Where the Dragon Is • 2004 – Star-Crossed Lovers, The Transylvanian Fang Mouse, and Nature Calls in the anthology Small Bites • 2003 – Gas in the anthology The Three Bubbas of the Apocalypse • 2003 – Hershey’s Bees in Miniature Quilts Magazine • 2003 – The Thing In the Closet in the anthology More Stories That Won’t Make Your Parents Hurl • 2002 – A.D.D. Dog in Dog & Kennel magazine • 2002 – The Attack of the Blue Berry Beast in SPELLBOUND magazine (Spring issue) • 2001 – The Field Trip in SPELLBOUND magazine (Fall issue) • 2001 – Bobby’s Troll in SPELLBOUND magazine (Summer issue)